First Name: Ilaria
Last Name: Roato
Academic Degree: PhD
Member Since: May 2017
City: Torino (ITALY)
Institution: CeRMS, A.O.U. Città della Salute e della Scienza di Torino
Ilaria Roato received her PhD in Radioimmunolocalization of human tumors, University of Turin, in 2007.
During PhD and then in post-doc, she increased her scientific competences in the field of bone research, particularly on the osteoimmunology field, by studying the interactions between osteoclasts and immune cells in bone metastatic patients with non small cell lung cancer.
She also studied the Receptor Activator of NFkB (RANK) expression in primary solid tumours and related bone metastases. She was also involved in studies on osteoporosis and on phenylketonuria.
In 2011 she received a grant as Young Investigator from the Italian Ministry of Health, which allowed her to strongly develop as an independent investigator. She studied the “ Role of kidney, breast and lung cancer stem cells in bone metastases”, developing a “human-in-mice” model of bone metastases and demonstrating a fundamental role of cancer stem cells to directly initiate the bone metastastic process in breast, lung and renal cancer.
In the last 2 years, in collaboration with prof. Ferracini, she was involved in regenerative medicine studies concerning the use of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adipose tissue to treat knee and hip arthritis, inducing new bone and cartilage formation.
- 01/12/2011Role of kidney, breast and lung cancer stem cells in bone metastases” funded by the Italian Ministry of Health: Ricerca Sanitaria Finalizzata e Giovani Ricercatori (GR 2009-1584485)
- 27/09/2016Role of LIGHT in NSCLC bone metastases, CRT Foundation
- 18/04/2019Role of CXCR4 and CD73 in the pathogenesis of bone metastasis induced by NSCLC stem cells, CRT Foundation
- 28/02/2019Study of the mechanisms regulating NK cell infiltration and function in bone metastases induced by cancer stem cells of non-small cell lung cancer in view of novel effective therapeutic approaches, funded by the Italian Ministry of Health: Ricerca Sanitaria Finalizzata e Giovani Ricercatori 2018 RF-2018-12366714
List of 5 Best Publications
- The Uncovered Role of Immune Cells and NK Cells in the Regulation of Bone Metastasishttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30930851
- Concentrated adipose tissue infusion for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: clinical and histological observationshttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30311059
- Adipose-Derived Stromal Vascular Fraction/Xenohybrid Bone Scaffold: An Alternative Source for Bone Regenerationhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29853912
- C-met inhibition blocks bone metastasis development induced by renal cancer stem cellshttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27322553
- Microenvironment-Modulated Metastatic CD133+/CXCR4+/EpCAM- Lung Cancer-Initiating Cells Sustain Tumor Dissemination and Correlate with Poor Prognosishttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26141860