Are you a New Investigator working in the musculoskeletal field and you are looking to gain career advice, support and guidance by an experienced professional?
Learn more about the ECTS Academy Mentor Scheme and apply today.
The ECTS Academy offers different formats of mentoring for New Investigators, including undergraduates, PhD students and early stage post-docs.
Mentoring Session @ ECTS Conference
The Mentoring Session is an integral part of the annual ECTS conference. This is an interactive session giving the New Investigators an opportunity to discuss various topics with the leaders in the field: Interactive, round table discussion (3×20 min).
If you couldn’t attend the conference or if you seek for more discussion and advice check out our Mentoring Chat. Informal discussions of specific topics with members of the ECTS Academy are organized three times a year as videoconferences. Please find below more information on the topic and registration procedure for the next event. This is also a great opportunity to meet potential mentors for the participation in the Mentoring Scheme.
|Topic:||Fantastic money from small grants: How to get this|
Small grants offer a fantastic opportunity to new investigators to gain valuable experience in developing your own ideas and writing funding applications, and many are also available to PhD or postdoctoral researchers without a tenured position. In addition, once awarded these grants can give you a first opportunity to lead and deliver your own project, handle budgets, etc. But there are also many factors to consider when starting to apply for these schemes. Where can you find these opportunities? Are you eligible? Which ideas should you develop? Who should you partner with?
This mentoring chat gives you a chance to discuss the opportunities small grants can provide, and the challenges faced in developing an application. Both chairs have experience of successful (and unsuccessful!) applications to these awards, and in subsequent delivery of the funded projects. We will also ask attendees to share their experiences, and provide opportunities to ask questions.
The meeting takes place in a small group via Zoom.
|Chairs:||Liesbeth Winter (Leiden University Medical Center, the Netherlands)
Alex Ireland (Manchester Metropolitan University, UK)
|Time & Date:||12th October 2020, 6 PM (CET)|
|Registration:||For registration click here. Login details will be provided upon registration.|
The Mentor Scheme is a unique opportunity for ECTS New Investigator members to be matched with an experienced professional to gain career advice, support and guidance. This scheme is a development technique based on the use of one-to-one meetings to enhance an individual’s skills, knowledge and performance. Content of the meetings remain strictly confidential between mentee and mentor.
Aims & Objectives
- To support learning and development of Mentees in a non-directive manner
- To encourage networking between New Investigators and advanced post-docs and young PIs as well as established professionals in the field
- To develop personal and professional competencies
Duration of Mentor-Mentee matching
- Mentoring term will be for two years
- Mentoring scheme: quarterly skype meetings and one face-to-face meeting per year is recommended
Who can apply to become a Mentee?
- New Investigators motivated to improve their career development and skills
- New Investigators are defined as PhDs/post-docs <3 years after completing their PhD/MD/DMD or equivalent
- New Investigators who are open to new ideas and feedback
- Must be an ECTS member
- Will be expected to take the lead in the communication, contacting their mentor at regular intervals and arranging meetings (e.g. at the ECTS annual congress)
Who are the Mentors?
- Experienced professionals volunteer at various stages of their career (>3 years post-doc)
- From a wide range of sectors and professions, both clinical and non-clinical, industry, press, etc.
Mentee Application Process
- Select 3 Mentors from the ECTS Academy Mentors List (you may want to take the chance to attend a Mentoring Chat to get to known to our mentors)
- Complete and Submit the online ECTS Academy Mentor Scheme Application along with your CV
- Applications are open throughout the year